Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cosplay is an Art


a friend of mine asked me “do you consider COSPLAYING as an art?”, I said “yes I do consider cosplay as an art”. Then he replied “why? they are just bunch of people dressed up in some weird costumes walking around the mall right?”, so I replied “your abstract drawings made up of crooked lines and mixed up colors that looked like drawings of a toddler are weird too, you know?”.

so instead of arguing, I posted a poll question on facebook a week ago to ask people if they consider Cosplaying as an art. and the obvious answer arise.

poll

here are some replies I got. and my own comment on theirs.
“yes, because it’s not fuc***g bloody science.” ~Vidar Kang answered YES
minus the swearing, he’s right on that, although IMO it can still be a science because science is knowledge. you need knowledge to cosplay.
“no, it’s a hobby for me :3, tho I ♥ cosplay a lot it still is just for fun :333” ~ Jazmine Daphne Villegas answered NO
for some that I talked to personally, their reasons why they cosplay I that it’s their hobby. but IMO painters, sculptors, etc., started their artwork as a hobby as well.
“I consider this I dunno..” ~ Alvin Christopher RN answered I DUNNO
this is a common answer I got when asking people personally especially those who are not into cosplay, or doesn’t know what cosplay is.
“It requires a sense of aesthetics” ~ Aviva Domasian Answered YES
the nature of beauty, art and taste, and the appreciation of beauty is aesthetics. although I’m not sure about taste? do I have to lick it?
“It enhance our imagination and creativity :D”  ~ Rodel Malabag answered YES 
“kase napoproduce mu ang creativity mu dito..” ~ Kiro Takudome answered YES
from the words of a non-cosplayer, you need to use your imagination and creativity when it comes to cosplaying, specially when creating those props and costumes to be used. translated as “your creativity is produced here” 
“If cooking is an art, so is cosplaying” ~ Ralph Carlo Dimanalata answered YES
while cooking the dish is like making the costume and stuff, and the creative plating is like the presentation of the cosplayer.
“The word itself explains why, costume and roleplaying, is not an art in your perception?” Mikune Seki answered YES
don’t be mad at me, I’m just asking, roleplaying is a form of performance art.
“of course. cuz cosplaying isn't just dressing-up. you have to be the character itself. although it could be a hobby for those who love it and enjoys it” ~ Jel Lie answered YES
just like actors on films and movies who needs to be in character for the role, cosplayers also internalizes to be in character.
“it's a way of expressing oneself lolz” ~ Hoshizora Rin answered YES
 "yes it is an art, because in cosplay, we're not just trying to imitate a character. But we also express what we feel and what we wanted. And that makes cosplay as an ART :)" ~ Buzz Panda answered YES

to express oneself by means of art whether it may be painting, pictures, singing or cosplaying.

alodia
alodia gosiengfiao said she makes her own costumes and props

As for my own answer to this question, YES I consider cosplaying as an art. From the answers I gathered above and from what I understand, Cosplay is a mash-up of Performing Arts where cosplayers act out the character they are portraying, from their gestures, facial expressions, how they talk, and being the character itself. And the craft and designs of the costumes and props are considered Applied Art, like the costumes that some cosplayers made, from their dress or armors to their accessories like wings, horns, kittybands, hellmets, and to their props like swords, guns, staff, wands, and even a bowl of rice. It is a way of interpreting oneself to others or a mode of expression that influences and affects one or more of the senses,emotions, and intellect

donrobert airbrushing his hordak
don robert while airbrushing Hordak

A cosplay event can also be considered as a gathering of various artist. if you have been into a cosplay convention, you will notice artist all over the place, from comic and manga artist or mangaka. photographers, to dancers, singers and actors on stage.


Girls Generation Cosplay @ 1st Philippine Kpop Convention

to date, I’ve only cosplayed two characters since 2008 and showed up int conventions in costumes only once, after dressing up, I’m already in character (I guess) from how I walk, stand or pose, I make it to the point that I’m in character.. but it’s hard though.

Chikusatk
Chikusa Kakimoto of Katekyo Hitman Reborn and TK of Angel Beats

!to the one who asked me the question “do you consider COSPLAYING as an art?”. it’s how a person will understand or appreciate the art form. like how I don’t appreciate abstract paintings but I consider it as an art. you can’t please everyone right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...